One of my favorite things to do is to make a crystal arrangement for a certain goal that I am working on. This is easier to do if you have a collection of stones, but you can do this with as little as 3 or 4 stones.
I highly encourage you to get creative and make your own crystal layouts for your grid. There is no wrong way to do this!
Here's how to make your own:
1. Think about your intention. Let's use the example of someone who wants guidance and clarity with finding a new job that will help her to line up with her life's purpose. Yours can be more or less specific. Meditate on it for a bit.
2. Think about which chakra the intention pertains to. Here we are working with the solar plexus (work) and crown (life purpose) chakras. Ask yourself: what stones do you already have that resonate with these chakras? Set them aside. For this particular circumstance, you might set aside a Citrine (solar plexus) and a Clear Quartz (crown chakra).
3. Break down the intention even more: here we have the words guidance, clarity, job, align, life's purpose. What stones bring out these qualities? Set these crystals aside. Examples for this situation would be Celestite (guidance), Fluorite (clarity), Red Jasper (job security/finances), Amethyst (align), and Garnet (life purpose).
4. Here's where you get to combine intuition with creativity. Find a sacred and safe space for your grid. Then, get arranging. I like to place my biggest stone in the center of the formation and then create a North/South/East/West form with four medium stones. Then, I fill in the gaps with smaller stones to form a circle around the center stone.
5. Bonus:: Place a letter of intention under your largest stone. Putting things in writing adds to the power of your intention.