When I see a common idea or concept showing up for me time and time again, I know that I need to pause and see what the message and wisdom within that topic is for me.
In my work and personal life, Joseph Campbell's The Hero's Journey outline has been knocking on the door of my awareness in a variety of ways. When I looked for where the message within his journey outline was for me, I saw the key to unlock my own personal message was within the idea of the Refusal of the Call.
In Campbell's outline, the Refusal of the Call comes towards the beginning of the story cycle and is not something that everyone goes through in myth - however I have been seen this come up for me many times in my life. In this podcast episode, I share how I am creating a shift in how I have, in the past, not fully answered the call to show up as a Spiritual Activist within my work.
I want to note that for me personally, there are some points within Joseph Campbell's journey exploration that don't resonate with me at all. I do not agree with the "lesser-than" lens through which he views native cultures, for example, or the way in which his journey highlights the actions in the male journey while not really showcasing the role of women in a positive way. However, as you can see within this podcast, there was still a message within this work for me.
In this episode, I discuss:
- How fear or perfectionism can halt us from saying "yes" to an inner call to action, and offer two quotes that can inspire us to release that fear and take the first step forward towards the calling of our spirit
- My own short-comings in hesitating at the call to action, and my desire to fully show up
- Resources that may inspire and support you in saying yes to the call to activism within your own work
- How the refusal of the call has come up for me within my own spiritual practice
- The way we can say "yes" to the call, showing up in our own unique way, with our own unique tools, gifts, and skills
- The way The Fool within the Tarot has been working with me as I dive into a place of inquiry around how I have been showing up and how I desire to show up in the present and the future.
Tarot for Justice:
I am holding a limited time event where I shall be donating 100% of all proceeds from Tarot Readings to the ACLU. This will be available until 11:59pm on Saturday, August 26th.
The readings will be delivered via pre-recorded video - each reading will be uniquely for you. Please note that this reading is not on a live video, but a video that will be sent to you upon completion of your reading. Your video link will be private and stored on vimeo.
Suggested donation is $50 for a 3 card reading. Minimum donation $50 The length of your reading and the amount of cards I pull for you will vary.
Let's stay connected - subscribe here.
Resources + Links
mentioned + quoted within this episode:
- Kristina Shand's Messaging Revolution
- Nilima Bhat and Raj Sisodia's Shakti Leadership
- Michael Meade's The Genius Myth
- David Bayles and Ted Orland's Art & Fear
- Joseph Campbell's A Hero With a Thousand Faces
- The Wikipedia Quote I mentioned about the Refusal of the Call, which is actually from Segal, Robert; Raglan, Lord; Rank, Otto (1990). "Introduction: In Quest of the Hero".
- The Clarissa Pinkola Estes Quote
- The Marianne Williamson Quote
Resources for Social Justice + Taking a Stand Against Racism within your Work:
- Layla Saad's Blog Post: I need to talk to spiritual white women about white supremacy (Part One)
- Layla Saad's Blog Post: Rise of the Priestess Activist
- Layla Saad's Blog Post: A letter to White Supremacy
- Andrea Ranae Johnson's Coaching As Activism
- Desiree Adaway + Erika Hines' Diversity is an Asset
- Staci Jordon Shelton's Unraveled
- 37 Days' with Patti Digh + Victor Lee Lewis Hard Conversations: An Introduction to Racism
This Episode's Tarot Card: The Fool
About Elle North, Intuitive Mystic:
I support inspired entrepreneurs in strengthening their intuition and inherent gifts so that they can make decisions in their business from a connected and confident place.
My work stems from a devotion to my training as an educator, yoga teacher, and energy worker, and a personal practice of integrating tarot, mythology, meditation, and intuitive development into my every day spiritual exploration. I believe that everyone is intuitive, and our inner wisdom can be uncovered through committed practice and play.
You can see my intuition expressed visually with my design work, or listen to me talk about business + intuition in the Integrated Spirit Podcast. I also teach magic makers to uncover their inherent intuition in my Wisdom Within School of Intuition. I teach the powerful archetypes of the Tarot in A School for the High Priestess (soon to be transformed into Unlock the Arcana of your Business), a training program in mystery, magic, and ritual.
Subscribe to Integrated Spirit:
Let's stay connected - subscribe here.